We are known to have a sweet treat in our kitchen…at all times.
I grew up in a family who loves desserts. Whether it was with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of milk before bed, there was always something yummy in our house. And while my husband and I are relatively healthy eaters, I like to keep our kitchen filled with a special treat all the time. Our friends and family pop in and visit often, and are right at home, helping themselves to the cookie jar or cake plate!
Cookie bars are one of my favorite things to whip up, especially during the week. Everyone loves chocolate chip or M&M cookies, but rolling the dough into balls, and having to individually take each cookie off the tray takes time! With time of the essence, and a REAL busy schedule, cookie bars give you the taste of cookies with less of the work.
1. 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of flour
2. 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3. 1 stick of butter softened
4. 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
5. 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of packed brown sugar
6. 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
7. 1 egg
8. 1 cup of M&Ms or chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9 by 6 pan, or any square pan.
3. In a small bowl combine flour, and baking soda.
4. In a large bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and the egg until creamy.
5. Gradually stir in the flour and baking soda.
6. Stir in the M&Ms to the batter, making sure it is evenly distributed.
7. Press the batter into the pan using your hand or the back of the spoon. Make sure to “taste test” any dough that may stick to the spoon!)
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Let cool and slice into bars.