I can this with certainty. This is not my first banana baking recipe, nor will it be my last.
With an abundance of produce in our house at all time, there tends to be a few overly ripe bananas at the end of every week. And being the practical house wife that I am, I have to re-purpose them from a healthy snack to a delicious baked good!
This bread is a wink and a nudge to my husband’s favorite Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, Chunky Monkey! So I top this bread with an extra crunch with walnuts. This bread is so moist and rich you will be waiting for your bananas to get extra ripe!
1. 2 eggs
2. 1/3 cup of buttermilk
3. 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
4. 1 cup of overly rip bananas, mashed
5. 1 cup of white sugar
6. 1/2 cup of brown sugar
7. 1 teaspoon of vanilla
8. 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
9. 1 3/4 cup of flour
10. 1 teaspoon of baking soda
11. 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
12. 1/4 cup of walnuts
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and the mashed bananas.
3. Add both the white and brown sugar and the vanilla. Stir until all of the ingredients have combined.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together, cocoa, flour and baking soda.
5. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the sugar and egg mixture. Stir until all the ingredients have been incorporated.
6. Add the chocolate chips to the batter, reserving a small handful for the top.
7. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan, topping the batter with the rest of the chocolate chips and walnuts.
8. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.