I take home more than leftovers when I leave a restaurant. I leave with inspiration.
I love to have an awesome dish at a restaurant, and come home to recreate it in our own kitchen. And Meatball Salad is exactly that. It is my rendition of one of our favorite appetizers.
Now you may be asking yourself, What is a meatball salad?! It is as simple as the title. But don’t let the simplicity fool you. A favorite local restaurant serves this dish as an appetizer, and after one bite you fall in love. A delicious piping hot meatball over a simple iceberg salad dressed in lemon and oil. The combination of hot and cold, a soft meatball with crunchy lettuce is off the charts! So as a true meatball lover, I knew that this dish would make an appearance in our own kitchen.
1.Sunday Sauce and Meatballs (Find the recipe on a previous post!)
2. 1 head of iceberg lettuce
3. 1 lemon
4. 3 tablespoons of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
6. Parmesan cheese
*This dish is so quick and easy the word recipe is almost too much!
1.Heat a little of your Sunday Sauce and meatballs over medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the juice of the lemon and the EVOO, and season with a pinch of salt.
3. Chop the head of iceberg lettuce into bite size pieces, and add to the bowl of lemon and oil.
4. Toss the lettuce to coat all sides in the lemon dressing.
5. Spread the lettuce and dressing out on to a large serving platter, and top the lettuce with the meatballs and sauce, allowing the heat to wilt the lettuce slightly.
6. Grate Parmesan cheese over the entire dish!
This meal was originally served to me as an appetizer. Make your meatballs, on the smaller size and use it for an app when entertaining. My husband and I love this dish so much that I make it as an entree. I just make the size of the meatballs substantial and serve it with a loaf of crusty Italian bread!